Saturday, November 15, 2008

Prop 8, the big debate

I was reading CNN's Ireports about gay marriage and prop 8, and here are a couple that I found interesting:

I liked what this guy had to say:

"As a veteran, I find this issue disconcerting. To those who oppose same-sex marriages based upon religious beliefs, I must point out the 1st Amendment: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion..." This means that no law based upon religious morals should ever be allowed to the ballots. If you disagree, then by all means, find a witch and burn her at the stake and pick a religion and deport everyone who does not share your faith. Furthermore, lets make it a requirement to purchase a license to attend church. If the state refuses based upon some frivolous reason, the blame falls on you!

To those who have other reasons to oppose same-sex marriages I must point out the 14th Amendment:[ Paraphrased] "No state shall make or enforce any law which abridges the rights of a citizen of the united states or deprive the citizen of life, liberty, without due process of the law nor deny any person EQUAL protection of the law."

If you disagree, why stop at same-sex marriages? Let's outlaw interracial marriages as well! Let's outlaw single couples living togother and make marriage mandatory.

I'm sorry, but as an American vet involved in a loving interracial marriage (as if it matters to any of you) I find this infringement on civil rights disgusting. Thomas Jefferson said it best, in "Letters from Virginia", It makes no difference if my neighbor claims there is one god or twenty gods , it neither picks my pocket nor does it break my legs.

Keep this up America and one day you will find YOUR civil rights eradicated. When that happens, don't call on me because I did my time in hopes of making our country a better one and you, in turn, decided to spit on the grave of every veteran who laid down his/her life in the name of freedom and democracy."

This guy on the other hand...what on earth?



No comments: