Sunday, June 15, 2008

not quite a fish out of water, but close

So my triathlon training is in full swing...

Today I biked the 4.56 mile round trip to the YMCA and swam 16 laps, which is a little over the distance I will have to swim for my sprint tri. I have to swim 1/3 of a mile, which is better than I had originally thought. I thought I was going to have to swim 1/2 mile. Both are doable, but it puts my mind at ease to know that it is less distance than I had originally thought.

The swim went alright today. It is only the second time I have been in the pool - so I suppose I can't get discouraged. I don't feel like I am going to drown, so that is good news. I do feel pretty breathless when I swim front crawl as opposed to breaststroke. Today I swam 6 lengths of front crawl, but couldn't string two lengths together to swim a lap of it - I kept having to revert to breaststroke. I am sure that it will come eventually. It is really hard to not be good at something, especially when everyone in the pool around you is swimming like they were born in the water, and 80 year olds are passing you like you aren't moving at all.

On a different note unrelated to the triathlon, I shot a 47 golfing yesterday. I was super excited, and am going to splurge and buy myself some golf shoes now. According to one of the people I golf with, the sole addition of golf shoes will cut at least another 5 strokes off my game immediately. I am starting to think she is an undercover saleswoman for golf shoes...

No comments: