Sunday, July 6, 2008

one sick kitty

Yesterday I was about to head to work and I noticed that my cat Paco was sitting in the same place that he had been pretty much all day. That is not normal for him at all. I started to pet him, and suddenly noticed that one of his back feet was about 3 times its usual size. I had no idea what was wrong, but I instantly felt terrible for the little guy. It makes me so sad when animals are injured in any way. I think it is because they can't speak up and tell you what is wrong, or how much it hurts. I started to panic, calling everyone I could think of that could come and sit with him while I was at work. I could not get a hold of anyone, and I had to go to work, so I left him by himself. I felt terrible all night while I was at work. I kept wondering if he had fallen somehow and broken his little foot, or if he had been bitten by something, or what had happened. I of course kept thinking the worst, and imagining that he was going to be dead when I got home. (Yes, I know I am ridiculous!)

One of my friends called me back around 11 pm and told me she could go check in on him in. That made me feel so much better. She went to my house and found him and said that he was doing really well - running around and chasing my other cat. She told me that he let her look at his paw and it looks like one of his nails is infected in some way.

Anyway, I got home from work at around 2am, and took him in to the 24 Hour Animal Hospital. Um...yea, they might as well call it the "We Will Take All of Your Money" Animal Hospital. I mean, it was going to cost $170.00 just for the vet to look at him, and any procedures performed or medications given would be an additional charge. Even though I knew these outrageous prices, I just couldn't deal with letting Paco suffer on with his club foot.

When we arrived, the waiting room was packed. There happened to be a lot of pet emergencies last night and that meant a 2 hour wait. Paco was not happy sitting in the waiting room in a cage, and he was letting everyone know how he felt with loud and pathetic meows.

I asked the employee who checked me in if I could leave and come back when they weren't as busy and she told me that I could. She told me that she would take a quick look at the paw to see if it merited our return later. She took us to a room and looked at his paw, and said that there was certainly something wrong with it, but she didn't see any puncture wounds or anything that would really justify me spending the $170. She said that she thinks it can wait until Monday. She did tell me to wash his paw and try to ice it. I felt so much better, and took a tired and happy Paco back home to rest.

So, has anyone ever tried to ice a cat's paw? I don't really recommend it.

Hopefully Paco will be fine all day today and I can get him in to the vet tomorrow morning.

No comments: