Sunday, August 17, 2008

smart people are so weird....

Yes, that means I am weird, I realize. :)

The attorney who teaches my LSAT prep class is extremely intelligent, but he is a little bit um, eclectic is the best way to say it I guess.

Yesterday as we were working on practice questions, he was reading the newspaper. I know what you are thinking; "How is that weird?". Well, that is not weird, but while the room was completely silent and everyone was trying to concentrate he started sporadically ripping up the ads that accompanied the paper. At first I thought that maybe he was doing it to purposely try to distract us, so when we actually have to take the test, stray noises won't bother us. After the eight minutes he gave us to complete the set of questions we were working on expired, he explained himself. He said "In case you are wondering why I am ripping up papers, people ask me that in all of the classes that I teach, it is because I like doing it. It feels good to rip up papers, it relieves stress." Then he walked to the garbage can and threw away all of the ripped up papers. Does anyone think that is normal? I mean, I can understand where he is coming from, but why would he do it in front of class?

To top it off, he came in wearing a baggy pair of red soccer shorts and a Nike polo shirt, and sort of looked like he just rolled out of bed. Not that you have to be well dressed to teach a class, but it does make an impression.

Anyway, even though he is a little bit odd and maybe even a little bit obsessive compulsive, it is easy to see that he truly cares about us doing well on the test. He has stayed at least 30 minutes past the end of class every day to give us additional information that he feels is valuable. He also teaches the material exceptionally well, and knows it inside and out, so I suppose that is really what matters.

No comments: